Don’t forget the importance of supporting your oil tank
The need to provide a suitable base and support for your oil tank is of paramount importance for reasons of both safety and environmental protection.
The base should be:
• Suitable for the weight of the tank
• Constructed of concrete, paving slabs or stonework
• Large enough to extend 300m beyond all sides of the tank
• If an oil storage tank is not adequately supported, the tank itself can be weakened over time, leading to the eventual failure and escape of the stored fuel, affecting the lifespan of the installation and warranty for the tank. It is important the base provides continual structural support, even though ground conditions may alter from season to season and year to year.
Domestic Oil Storage
Tanks are required to comply with fire separation distances in order to adequately protect the stored fuel from a fire or heat source that may originate nearby.
Tanks should be:
• 1.8m away from non-
• 1.8m away from a non-
• 1.8m away from openings (such as doors or windows) in a fire rated building or structure (eg brick built house/garage)
• 1.8m away from oil fired appliance flue terminals
• 760mm away from a non-
• 600mm away from screening (eg trellis and foliage) that does not form part of the boundary
• Installations near a river or any controlled water will require a bunded oil tank
Below are a few useful links which we hope you will find of interest.
Tank Services Grampian
Telephone 01467 671680 Mobile 07818 078619 Email email@example.com